Welcome to our little World,
where we take all the little pieces of life, and turn them into some Spectacular Artwork!
We are a group of free spirits who enjoy sharing ideas. This is a peaceful and happy place, and you are welcome to join in!

Artist of the Week- Susan Wechsler

What's your real name? How did you come up with your shop name?


Susan Wechsler. My web designer came up with mosaicsbysusan for my website since Wechsler is so difficult to spell. Now I use it for everything, like a brand name.


What inspired you do create your first mosaic?

I accidentally broke my grandmother’s china plate and could not bear to throw it away. So I made something out of it….


Has mosaic art lead you to any other art forms/been a lead to any other passions?


Actually I began working in wood, met a group of Tramp Artists in NYC, and began using their technique of layer cut-out wood as my base for my mosaics.


Where does your inspiration come from?

I have an angel who guides me through my process and so my inspiration comes from within. I am a very spiritual person and I like to share my insights with others.

Do you have any mosaic daydreams?...... is there one thing that you dream of being able to create someday?

I do have dreams where I am mosaicking my entire world..


Is being an artist your full-time job? What other jobs or hobbies consume your time?

Yes, I am a full time artist. In my spare time I raise 2 boys and help my husband with his restaurant BIMBAMBOO.


Do you have one or two creations that have been favorites?

On my website www.mosaicsbysusan.com, under Shrines, my favorite piece is Mother/Child, it is the piece that is dearest to my heart. I had it sold once, the patron took it home, but I priced it so high, that she ended up buying 2 other pieces instead. I felt if she was willing to pay the price it was hers, luckily it is still mine!


Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
mosaicsbysusan.etsy.com

4 comments:

Carol/CMK Sculputures said...

Congrats on Member of the week.
your work is awsome!
way to go.

mj mosaics said...

I love your work Susan, I especially like you red flower, must go check out your mother, child shrine I would love to do a mother child piece

chinagirl said...

Thanks Amanda for taking the time to feature me and my work! You did a wonderful job!
:)S

CallasMosaics said...

Susan.....I really enjoyed reading about you and seeing some of your beautiful mosaics! You are an inspiration! Carla